Friday, May 4, 2012

Husbandry

I've had some questions about animal husbandry and here is a quick sketch on how I like to do things.
Ultimately, it is my goal to grow 90-100% of the feed that I give my animals. Practically, living on a single acre, this is not yet an option for me. The organic and non-GMO feeds are inconsistently available, supremely expensive, and not only full of insects, but often of inferior quality. It is my policy to feed not only a natural diet but a high-quality diet to my animals to ensure that their nutritional needs are met. In order to help meet this goal, I have not only done much research and have a library of books but have taken classes on animal husbandry, animal medicine, animal pathology, and crop production.

The animals I have are fed on grasses and legumes, the hay being sun-dried instead of chemically cured. The grains they are fed are not a majority of their diets, as is common in the industry. The grains include a variety of rolled corn, rolled oats, and rolled barley. Black-strap molasses is added to the grain ration for additional minerals. The milkers are given daily minerals and freeze-dried rumen and intestinal bacteria to aid their digestion health. The non-milkers are given this on an as-needed basis. Minerals are always available to the goats and sheep so that they can consume them if they feel they need it, and they are also given free access to water, salt, and baking soda. (Baking soda helps regulate the pH of their rumens.) They are given a weekly herbal wormer that is non-sickening and has been clinically shown to reduce intestinal parasites beyond even allopathic levels. Also, I give the growing lambs and kids access to a natural protein supplement so that if they need the extra protein, they can get it.

Also, unless there is some medical reason that the mother can't feed her babies, or the babies can't nurse, I let the mothers raise the babies. We milk only once a day until the babies are weaned. After a few weeks of life, we'll separate the babies from their moms overnight in the next pen over where they can still see and talk to each other and then we milk in the morning. This gives the mommas a much-needed break and allows the babies to get fed a dinner and a breakfast of hay and grain without having to compete with the adults. We don't wean until at least 3 months of age. I do have a modified "creep"--a special fence that allows the babies, but not the adults, through so that the babies can play together without the adults butting in and where I keep their special protein supplements and things that they need that the adults don't.

Medicinally, we reach for homeopathic and herbal remedies first. However, I will not allow an animal to suffer an illness if I have seen no reasonable improvement in 3-7 days or a significant decline in health despite natural treatment. If there is an allopathic medication that is known to "cure" the illness that they are suffering and the other natural remedies have not improved the situation, I will try the allopathic remedy. In that case, I will remove the animal from production until it has been detoxed from the medication it was given. I try to do as much of the medical care of the animals myself, including medicating, bone-setting, and aiding in delivery as needed. In cases that I feel that I can't handle (amputation, for example), I have the numbers of the best large-animal vets in Bakersfield and do not hesitate to call them, even if only for a consultation. In severe cases that have no hope for cure, I will put the animal down as humanely and as quickly as possible.

I try to ensure, within the constraints of my property and my pocketbook, that my animals are as healthy, well-cared for, and as happy as possible. I think this makes for not only happy healthy animals, but to a higher quality milk and meat for my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment